Moving from USA?Moving from USA?Moving from USA? 

Moving from USA to Canada

In the recent times, there has been a massive spike in the number of enquiries from U.S. asking about their eligibility to move into Canada either temporarily or permanently. Canada has been a long-trusted friend and neighbour of the U.S. since many years. With it’s natural beauty, raw appeal, great standard of living, and sound economy, it has been a sought after country for people who want to call Canada, home. Applications from the United States come from a vast demographic and it can be broadly classified as applicants who want to make a:

  • Temporary Move to Canada
  • Permanent Move to Canada

Temporary Move to Canada: U.S. citizens looking to work or visit Canada temporarily have a lot of different options to do so. Various agreements have been made by the Canadian and U.S. governments to have a safe and steady trade flow between the two countries. This allows citizens of U.S. and Canada to move freely across borders and work temporarily if they are able to meet certain eligibility criteria.

  • Study: American students who are looking to gain exposure while studying consider Canada as one of the best options to study abroad. Given Canada’s world-class education, a North American style of learning, lesser tuition costs a stress- free environment conducive to higher education, more and more students from U.S. are making their way into Canada for higher education. International students in Canada with a valid study permit are also eligible to work part-time while they are studying and full-time after finishing their program. This allows them to gain vital work experience to move ahead with their careers. They have an option to either stay back and apply for immigration, or they can go back to the U.S. to pursue other options.
  • SWAP Working Holidays: Under the student work abroad programs (SWAP) U.S. citizens between the ages of 18 to 30, inclusive, may obtain an open work permit for 12 months, provided that they have been enrolled in full-time post-secondary study in the past twelve months. Final year students not returning to studies are also eligible.
  • Visit and Work Without a Work-Permit: Canada is a beautiful country. And if you are looking to visit Canada, all you need to do is to book your tickets and carry identification documents. American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens do not need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an eTA to enter Canada if you are travelling with a valid U.S. passport. Business visitors can perform work in Canada without needing to secure a Temporary Work Permit. This includes individuals who engage in business or trade activities in Canada but will not enter the Canadian labour (labor) market, for example: athletes, performing artists, media, etc.
  • Work: For a U.S. citizen or a resident to start working in Canada, they need authorization from the Canadian government known as a work permit. In order to secure a work permit, you need a job offer from a Canadian employer in one of the skilled occupations. An eligible employer grants you a document which is called a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which proves that there is a shortage of skilled labour in that region (under the NOC category you applied for) and that you are a suitable candidate for that particular position in the company.
  • NAFTA: Under the North American Trade Agreement (NAFTA), U.S. citizens do not require an LMIA in order to work in Canada. There are three different categories under which a U.S. citizen can work in Canada:
    • NAFTA Professional: This include 60 targeted positions including teaching, science, finance, medicine, law etc.
    • NAFTA Intra-Company Transfer: Includes managers or executives being transferred from U.S. to their subsidiary in Canada on a temporary basis.
    • NAFTA Traders and Investors: A U.S. investor who wants to make a substantial investment in a new or existing Canadian business are allowed under this category.
CWC Immigration Solutions Inc.
© 2019 Immigration Consultant, Visitor Visa and Work Permit, Canada. All rights reserved.